Saturday, July 14, 2012

The World's Most Delicious/Frustrating Cake

 Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Icing


My cousin just recently graduated from university and for her party, she requested a red velvet cake. I made this cake six months ago for my mom's birthday. I had problems then and I had problems now.

Problems...

1. It is from scratch and has a very specific recipe. You are required to follow the recipe in the exact order.

2. It says it takes 25 minutes to bake...if you are under 45 minutes that is impressive. The batter resembles brownie batter and therefore you have to be careful not to overcook the edges.

3. The cake recipe has to be doubled. The cream cheese icing recipe has to be tripled.

4. The icing isn't easy to decorate with. If left in the fridge to harden, it becomes too difficult to pipe any type of design. If the icing is used at room temperature, all the piping begins to fall off the cake. Therefore your decorations have to be minimal and kept simple.

5. Because it is a cake from scratch, there are a lot of ingredients and a lot of steps. Therefore you use almost every dish, bowl, spoon, measuring cup, etc. and create a monster of a mess.


So why is it worth making?


Well I wouldn't do it for just anyone. It is a big undertaking. It took about 4.5 hours from start to finish (and it was a terrible idea to start at 10pm). However even with all the problems it gave me, it is probably one of the most DELICIOUS cakes I know how to make. The rave reviews from my family makes it worth it. But lets just say, if I agree to make you a red velvet cake...you know you are someone special to me :)


Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Icing

Four-Layer Square Cake

Very Easy Flag Sign

Congrats Maddie

Buddy with the big yawn! My little helper who stuck it out until the early morning. Helped "clean" the floor :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...