Thursday, January 31, 2013

Dessert: Cream Puffs




It was a very boring afternoon around the house so I decided to make cream puffs. The best part about cream puffs is that I had all the ingredients to make them around the house. No trip to the grocery store required.

I did almost give up on this dessert though. The recipe that I followed was very vague and it took me two attempts before I realized my mistake. A lot of ingredients were wasted to say the least. So I will try to explain the best I can so it doesn't happen to you.




Recipe:

Yields 12 medium puffs

1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
4 eggs

1 pkg instant vanilla pudding
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 tbsp. icing sugar


 
 
Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

2. Bring the water to a boil. Add butter and stir until completely melted. Bring the mixture back up to a boil.

3. Add flour and salt to the saucepan. Mix until dough is formed (this will happen quickly). Remove from heat and add one egg at a time to the dough.

4. Roll dough into balls and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Then lower the temperature to 325 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove the baking sheet and slice the puffs in half. Turn off the oven and place the puffs into the cooling oven for another 20 minutes (this will allow the pastries to crisp).

5. For the cream, pour instant pudding mix, heavy cream, milk, and icing sugar into a bowl. Mix with a beater on high. NOTE: Do NOT actually make instant pudding package or you will have a big, watery mess.

6. Once the puffs are cooled, pipe cream onto pastry bottoms. Replace the pastry top onto the cream. Powder tops with extra icing sugar.


~ Enjoy! ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...