Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Painted Pumpkin Project: Don't Settle for Orange Pumpkins!

So the Succulent Pumpkins I made at the beginning of the month made it through Thanksgiving. They were a great centrepiece for the dinner, however they went to mush shortly after. Everywhere I looked, I couldn`t find anymore white pumpkins. People were either sold out or their white pumpkins weren`t the right size. I began to give up since I really didn`t like how the plants looked in the traditional orange pumpkins. And then while waiting in line at the grocery store, I saw it...the Chatelaine cover and decided: why settle for orange pumpkins? Pick a colour to match whatever room or setting you want.

I painted one black and spray painted the other brown. I wouldn't recommend spray painting pumpkins. It looks great, but takes almost 24 hours to dry. It was extremely sticky. The paint dries a lot faster. I loved the Chatelaine pumpkins. They were painted with pale pinks and shimmery golds. So you can really get creative with the colours.

All the plants used were succulents that I purchased from Martha's Greenhouse in Windsor.



 
 Black Succulent Pumpkin with Orange Bow


 

A little Halloween with the candles.



 Brown Succulent Pumpkin with Orange Bow



My two boring orange pumpkins.

 


Onyx stole my pumpkin top and ate it. Made a big mess on the grass.



Carve out the pumpkin top to fit the planter's size. Scoop out the seeds and insides. Paint pumpkins starting from the bottom. The paint will drip down and the bottoms only need one coat of paint since they won't really be seen.




Pumpkins need at least 2-3 coats.






Love the orange bows :)

 


Buddy checking out the situation - Also put a paper towel down in case there are any wet spots on the bottom!





I really love how the succulents look.

 






Add Spanish Moss to fill in the gaps and hide the soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...