Wednesday, December 5, 2012

North Pole Christmas Cupcakes!

Christmas is coming and there are a lot of holiday parties and holiday desserts that need to made and tasted! My dad needed cupcakes for his volunteer party at Habitat for Humanity ReStore. I saw this idea on Pinterest, but I just didn't like the photos I was seeing. Then my Crossfit friend posted a similar design online and I decided to give it a try. They turned out amazing. I appreciate the inspiration and check out her site, 3 Girls and A Cupcake for the most beautiful cupcakes!




Simple White Cake

1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
2 tsps vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1 3/4 tsps baking powder
1/2 cup milk

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and fill cupcake tins with baking liners.

2. Cream together butter and sugar.

3. Beat in one egg at a time. Add vanilla.

4. Combine flour and baking powder in a separate bowl. Mix into cream mixture.

5. Finally, beat in milk until smooth.

6. Bake for 20-25 minutes.






Cupcake Papers

Once the cupcakes were cooled, I inserted a cream cheese filling into the centre of the cupcake. I then topped the cupcakes with my vanilla buttercream icing and sprinkles.



Cream Cheese Filling



Icing and Sprinkles


The North Pole toppers are easy to construct.

You will need:

- candy canes
- gumballs
- icing
- paper
- pen

Break the top off a cherry or peppermint candy cane and remove the plastic. Stick the candy canes into the cupcakes. Take the gumballs and add a dab of icing. Attach the gumball to the top of the candy cane (royal icing would work better for this if you have it available). For the sign, I actually purchased Wilton's Food Writers and flat mini white chocolate wafers. However, the Writers didn't show up dark enough on the white chocolate (which was very upsetting). So I had to improvise at 1 am. I simply used scrapbook paper and a pen to write North Pole. I then attached it to the candy cane with icing. This sign wasn't ideal since the icing left a stain, but sometimes your choices are limited. They still turned out beautiful and more importantly, they were delicious.






Filling


















Very sad to say that my little helper, Buddy passed away a couple weeks ago. So this guy, Onyx has been staying up late with me to help clean up spills and trying to look cute for an extra cupcake :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...